Hyperbaric Chamber Treatment in Sun City Fl
Hyperbaric Oxygen Therapy
- Mild Hyperbaric Oxygen Therapy (HBOT) is a safe method of delivering more oxygen to the body at the cellular level.
- HBOT provides the optimal environment for the body to carry out vital cell processes, thereby increasing the capacity for the body to heal itself.
- HBOT utilizes filtered pressurized ambient air to dissolve oxygen directly into the plasma, cerebral and spinal fluids, flooding tissues and vital organs with oxygen.
- Mild Hyperbaric Oxygen Therapy allows for healing at the cellular level, which is critical for changes to be made which in turn affect healthy tissue formation, making it possible for healthier organs and ultimately a healthier body overall.
So How Does It Work?
The mild hyperbaric chamber is filled with compressed ambient air at 4.5 pounds per square inch. (1.5 ATA). This is the equivalent of being 15 feet below sea level. The patient breathes 100% concentrated oxygen for the duration of the therapy.
The increased pressure allows the blood plasma and other liquids of the body to absorb additional oxygen thus greatly increasing oxygen uptake by the cells, tissues, glands, organs, brain, and fluids of the body.
The resulting uptake of oxygen allows for increased circulation to areas with swelling or inflammation. At the same time, the increased pressure decreases swelling and inflammation.
Normally, when we breathe air (usually at sea level), in order for the oxygen contained within that air to be absorbed by our cells, it must travel from our lungs to our bloodstream; however, our cells are only capable of absorbing about 25% of that oxygen. Therefore, to use it, the organelles inside of our cells, called mitochondria, create energy in the form of ATP which is what our body uses during everyday functioning.
When inside a hyperbaric oxygen chamber, however, the pressure of the chamber not only forces oxygen into our lungs, but into our bloodstream and cells, which increases absorption rates from 25% to 40-50%. When this happens, there is an increase in the load of available oxygen to our cell’s mitochondria, which enhances overall energy production. In fact, only 50% of our energy comes from the fats, carbohydrates and protein that we eat on a daily basis. The rest comes from energy stores in our body, so in order to make this stored energy useful, our cells must be able to convert it into molecules of ATP by using oxygen. Therefore, with an influx of oxygen available, our bodies become more efficient at converting those energy stores into something which can be used for enhanced performance.
Who Does It Help?
It’s not just about healing damaged tissues or increasing oxygen to the brain and tissues. Many athletes use HBOT for athletic advantage pre and post competition. More oxygen to the tissues equals better performance. It’s also used for enhance recovery time from training thus helping to prevent chronic over training injuries. It’s used for stress reduction, and for faster recovery from acute injuries. Research has demonstrated increased collagen synthesis in tendons post hyperbaric therapy.
There is a strong need for treatments which allow athletes to return to competition faster than they would with regular rehabilitation alone. Hyperbaric oxygen therapy provides faster recovery from injuries, sharper performance, and longer, more intense training regimens. Additionally, it has been recognized by clinicians, professional athletes, and world-class trainers as a safe way to help athletes achieve peak performance levels.
Some of the conditions that patients in Sun City, Fl experience accelerated healing with mHBOT:
- Sports Injuries
- Post Surgical
- Traumatic Brain Injuries
- Soft Tissue Tear
- Optimal Sports Performance
- Spinal Cord Injuries
- Neurological Disorders
- Migraine Headaches
- Disc Herniation
- Diabetic Complications
- Non-healing Wounds
- Thermal Burns
- Multiple Sclerosis
- Cerebral Palsy
- Inflammatory Conditions
- And more
While obviously beneficial for those suffering from various ailments and injuries, there are huge benefits for everyday people simply looking to lead a more complete life. Hyperbaric oxygen therapy is great for body detoxification, and it helps people dealing with fatigue, stress, insomnia, and chronic illness improve their overall well-being. Many of our patients frequently use this service and consider it an integral part of their healthy lifestyle.
Are There Any Side Effects?
No dangerous side effects have been reported with mild hyperbaric therapy; however, there are a few things to keep in mind when preparing for your first session in a chamber:
- Some people experience a mild discomfort in the ears during hyperbaric chamber pressurization in Sun City Fl, which is not unlike what you might feel when ascending in an airplane.
- Following their first few sessions, some people experience slight fatigue and sleepiness. This is considered a normal reaction and is simply a result of the body ridding itself of built-up toxins.
- We advise our patients to wear comfortable, loose clothing as pantyhose and other tight garments may contribute to feelings of claustrophobia.
What Can I Expect During A Session?
The hyperbaric chamber will seem smaller when deflated than when it is when fully pressurized; however, within a couple minutes, the chamber will inflate completely and allow enough room for an adult to sit upright or lie fully extended.
After the chamber inflates, it will begin to pressurize. For this reason, we ask that our patients refrain from drinking large amounts of fluid before beginning a session since a trip to the restroom will require the chamber to be completely deflated.
Additionally, we ask that our patients do not wear perfume or cologne when coming in for a hyperbaric session because we may have other people scheduled at a later time who are sensitive or allergic to certain fragrances.
To equalize the pressure in your ears, simply swallow or close your mouth and firmly clamp your nose shut with your fingers and thumb. Blow, as if you were blowing your nose, but keep nose and mouth closed. You will feel the air come out through your ears when you have done this procedure correctly, and this should relieve the pressure.
How Long Does Each Session Last?
The standard length is 60 minutes; however, longer sessions may be required for certain conditions.
What Can I Do While In The Chamber?
- Listen to music
- Talk on your cell phone
- Play handheld games
- Watch movies on a portable DVD player
- Work on iPad or laptop
- Read books or magazines
- Relax and power nap
Are There Any Reasons Someone Should NOT use HBOT?
Yes. You should NOT go into the chamber if you are inebriated (drunk), if you have ear canal problems or an ear infection, or if you are experiencing flu or cold-like symptoms. Additionally, hyperbaric oxygen therapy is not for people with pace makers, certain lung diseases, or women who are pregnant.
How Frequently Should Someone Use HBOT?
- 1 Hyperbarics
- 1.0.1 So How Does It Work?
- 1.0.2 Who Does It Help?
- 1.0.3 Some of the conditions that patients experience accelerated healing with mHBOT:
- 1.0.4 Are There Any Side Effects?
- 1.0.5 What Can I Expect During A Session?
- 1.0.6 How Long Does Each Session Last?
- 1.0.7 What Can I Do While In The Chamber?
- 1.0.8 Are There Any Reasons Someone Should NOT use HBOT?
- 1.0.9 How Frequently Should Someone Use HBOT?